ASSISTANT CIDER MAKER: DULUTH CIDER
Duluth Cider is Duluth's first hard cider company, making high quality craft cider from fresh Minnesota apples. We are a small company opening September in Duluth's Lincoln Park craft district. We believe in creating a positive work environment, that focuses on quality, creativity, continual learning and teamwork.
Duluth Cider is searching for an enthusiastic candidate who is eager to learn. We believe in crafting cider using different approaches both traditional and modern, drawing on experiences and techniques from the cider, wine and brewing industries. At Duluth Cider, we are excited by the production of cider, we are not interested in being tied down by traditions or style guidelines. We want to make the best cider possible and discover new possibilities for where cider can go. As an employee at Duluth Cider you can expect to be a part of making everything from a traditional Dry English style cider to experimenting with various botanicals, barrel aging and more.
The Assistant Cider Maker will provide cider house support, and will receive training and provide assistance to other areas of the business including connecting hoses, monitoring fermentation, moving product, and packaging.
The Assistant Cider Maker will have to learn and adhere to all cider making specific standard operating procedures. Shift hours can be early in the morning to late nights depending on the needs of the business. The right person will be able to improve day-to-day efficiency and think critically about the cider making process. The shift begins with a guaranteed 2 days per week with the potential to grow and eventually become a full-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performing all cider making processes in a safe and efficient manner. This includes, but is not limited to: Sorting, milling, pressing, transferring must
- Pitching yeast and nutrients as required. Racking, filtering, and carbonating. Monitor gravities, temperatures, and carbonations
- Packaging duties such as kegging, bottling, and canning
- Maintaining cleanliness of all areas in the cider house and warehouse
- Communicating regularly and efficiently and arriving to each shift on time with a positive attitude
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operation and upkeep of equipment and maintaining quality control throughout all aspects of the cider making and cellar
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time
- Be responsible for ensuring that health and safety procedures are adhered to throughout the building
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent, with a certificate or experience in the cider, wine or brewing process. This can include homebrewing experience
- Desired Experience: 3-5 years in a similar or related field
- Have a basic understanding of Excel, Word, Google Docs etc and other programs used in the cider house
- Age: Over 21 only
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds and be able to move kegs which weigh close to 165 pounds.
We are a very small cider house using the space we have to maximum efficiency. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most of the time. Temperatures vary seasonally in work areas.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a support-level position with opportunities for growth within the company, and is ideal for someone looking to make a start in the rapidly growing craft cider industry. Many opportunities will be made available to the right candidate. Wages will be determined based upon experience.