Head Brewer: Dual Citizen Brewing
Dual Citizen Brewing Company is a brewery focused on philanthropy and aims to support and enrich our diverse community. We are looking for a creative, knowledgeable and experienced head brewer who is poised for strategic growth and excited to uphold our mission. Our brewery is well situated for growth and critical to that growth is ahead brewer that knows the market, enjoys the job environment, makes great beer and can work as a team with ownership and our management staff.
The Head Brewer will be responsible for the oversite and execution of all brewhouse procedures including but not limited to; day to day production and packaging of beer at the brewery, inventory management, and all record keeping. The Head Brewer will also oversee recipe development, quality assurance and directing members of the team to ensure all beer is of the highest quality and that the brewery is kept clean, functional, and up to Dual Citizen’s standards.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
● Brew beer, maintain fermentation, and package product.
● Maintain an up to date production schedule.
● Keep brewhouse clean and functional at all time.
● Keep an up to date Cleaning & Maintenance Schedule for all brewhouse equipment including a boiler.
● Perform, or direct, all required cleaning and maintenance on time and to the appropriate standard.
● Develop and execute a QC program.
● Develop and execute an R&D program.
● Maintain packaged beer inventory and report to management staff.
● Have familiarity with filtration systems and be able to purchase and implement.
● Work collaboratively with the management team to discuss production plans and growth.
● Follow inventory procedures for all raw materials, chemicals, beer, cooperage, small parts, packaging, supplies, etc.
● Participate in beer tasting panels and educate taproom staff.
● Work with General Manager to keep an improvement log on all issues as they develop.
● Represent Dual Citizen Brewing Co. at various events, festivals, and promotions.
● Promote positive public relations and address complaints/concerns in a professional and timely manner.
● Follow all brewery and DCBC policies and procedures.
● Adhere to current developments in local, state, and federal laws applicable to the service of alcohol, safe food handling, health standards, etc.
● Label all kegs and other packaged product in accordance with federal and state law using appropriate keg collars, labels and date codes.
● Troubleshoot and report all equipment problems, violations or substandard practices to ownership.
● Maintain all required paperwork and records including but not limited to brew logs, inventory sheets, packaging records, recipe sheets, and report excise tax.
● Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
The Brewer may be responsible for the supervision of:
● Assistant Brewer and/or Cellarmen
● Sales and Distribution staff
● Brand Ambassadors
Education and Experience:
● High school diploma or GED required.
● A formal brewing education from an accredited brewing program is preferred.
● College Degree in a related technical field (Science or Engineering) and at least 2 years’ experience in a commercial production brewery; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Advanced experience in recipe development.
● Advanced knowledge of the current craft beer market.
● Must have a Special Engineers license or be able to acquire one within 90 days from hire.
● Must have own vehicle, valid Driver’s License, current insurance coverage, and clean driving record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Strong communication and administration skills to interact with customers, vendors, and coworkers in a professional manner.
● Ability to follow detailed instructions and procedures.
● Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast-paced and evolving work environment.
● Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services, ordering and inventory control.
● Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
● Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
● Ability to lead staff in an organized and positive manner.
● Analytical ability to gather and summarize data, find solutions to various administrative problems.
● Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
Equipment, Machines, and Software Used:
This position requires the regular use of a computer, printer, copier, telephone, scanner, calculator, cash register (at events,) keg washer, forklift, centrifugal pumps, boiler, digital and analog scales, grain mill, hydrometer, refractometer, various brewing and lab equipment that is subject to change over time and handling pressurized gases.
Computer Software: BeerRun Software or similar brewhouse software, Revel POS, Microsoft Office to include Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel
Physical and Mental Requirements:
● Ability to lift 55lbs consistently and the ability to move 135 occasionally.
● Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
● High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of the product. AND/OR extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high-speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
While performing the duties of this position, working conditions include exposure to extreme heat, hot fluids, moving machinery,pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals,and potential for physical injury.
● All requirements are subject to possible modification to provide reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
● The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
● This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.